People normally start turning up on the Friday (or Thursday for the Long Weekend course in January) about 18:00, and after dinner (which is usually at 19:00) we have a session, either all together (if numbers are low) or in two groups. Then there’s a jam session which goes on until the early hours. Everything is very informal at Grafham, and there isn’t really a strict timetable. However, a typical Saturday at Grafham might go something like this:
- 8:00 am: Breakfast (the food is fantastic at Grafham)
- 9:15 am: Divide into groups. Mostly the students decide for themselves which groups to join. There are two sessions before …
- 13:00: lunch (more fantastic food)
- 14:30 – 18:00: two more sessions
- 19:00: dinner (how do we eat so much?)
- 20:15: a short tutor concert. This is the highlight. Well it is for the tutors, anyway!
- 21:00 sometimes a few students will present numbers that they have rehearsed
- 21:30? jam session, anyone can join in. Sometimes everyone does, all at once. Sometimes there are two jam sessions going on. Jam session often go on until …
- 03:00? exhaustion sets in and the last people go to bed.
There’s no bar any more, so bring your own booze!
Sundays are similar, except that after lunch, normally aiming for 14:00, there’s a student concert. Invite your partner, or children, or parents! Then, about 15:30, we pack up go home. Very sad.