Some Frequently Asked Questions:
- What do I need to bring? You’ll need your instruments and a music stand. There is one piano, so if you’re a keyboard player you probably need to bring a keyboard and amp. Guitarists and bassists will need amps, but vocalists probably only need to bring a mic. A towel is provided by the centre, but I always take a big one of my own. Some people bring bottles of wine to drink with the meals. Nearby shops are very limited and there’s no bar anymore (except occasionally on the Saturday of the long weekend) so you might want to bring your own beer too. There’s a fridge to keep the booze cold.
- I can’t get to Grafham at 18:00 on a Friday. What can I do? Let the centre know what time you’ll turn up and they will keep a meal warm for you. Some people turn up on Saturday morning.
- I’m a beginner and I’m intimidated. Will I enjoy myself? Absolute beginners are going to struggle. You need to have some level of playing ability, even if you’ve never looked at jazz before. But given that, the course is very encouraging, and there’s scope for all levels on the course.
- The January Long Weekend and Short Weekend courses are more expensive. Why is this? This is because we have a guest tutor on the Saturday. In the past we have had Pete Churchill, Julian Siegel, Malcolm Edmonstone, Nikki Iles and Alan Barnes. This is an opportunity not to be missed.
- I’ve booked on the Short Weekend. Can I turn up early? By all means turn up early but please don’t eat any meals or join in any sessions before 6pm. You may be welcome to sit and watch the sessions, but please ask the tutor first.
- Who runs this course? The course is run by the Grafham Water Centre, which is primarily a sail training school for kids. The people at the centre take bookings and deal with everything to do with accommodation and food. The tutors are responsible for the content of the course and the timetable.
- Where are my joining instructions? The Grafham Water Centre doesn’t send anything out, and all the information that you may need is on this website (if it isn’t let me know, see the next answer). If you want to confirm that the centre has your booking, you may have to call or mail them, using the details on the contact page.
- Bonus self-referential question: My question isn’t on this FAQ list. What do I do? Send your question to email@example.com and I’ll answer it. And I’ll add it to the list (even if it’s not quite “frequent” yet).